Collections Law/Medical bill dispute

Back in September I saw a psychiatrist to be evaluated for ADHD. I was told up front when I called him before the scheduling about what the fee would be. I saw him, got my prescription, asked to be sent an invoice so I could file a claim if possible, had a follow up call and as the month went by never heard from him.

I had called him several times with no response. He called me out of the blue one day in October but only by mistake. He was looking for someone else. When I told him who I was he was quickly trying to hang up the phone but not before I told him I had been trying to get a hold of him for a new prescription fill like we discussed. He had me come in 45 minutes later and asked me general questions about how the medication made me feel. Wrote me a prescription and sent me on my way. On the way out the door I asked about the invoice I never got and he told me he'd have it out at the end of the week. This visit took only about 5 minutes. I never heard back from him and started getting my prescription written from my physician.

Now it is the end of February and I just received an invoice from him dated on the 3rd. I have been charged $130 for the 5 minute prescription renewal and was not told I would be. Overall this guy has been surprisingly unprofessional seeing as he was recommended to me by my physician. Is there any way I can dispute this?

First of all, let me apologize for the tardiness of my reply, I have been a little under the weather.

Now to your question.  There are several things you can do.  You can report his unprofessionalism to the Better Business Bureau, your states Attorney General, the American Medical Association and Consumer Affairs.  Before you do this, send the Doctor's office manager a certified letter letting them know of your intent.  This gives them a chance to rectify the situation before it escalates. Be sure you keep a diary of what you do, who you talk to and when these thing are done.  This save a lot of "he said/she said" later down the road. Surprisingly, a lot of doctors do business this way and then complain about not being paid.  Go figure.

I wish you well with this situation and once again apologize for my tardiness.  I usually respond to these questions on the same day I receive them.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller

I am qualified to answer questions on the following subjects: FDCPA, FCRA and HIPAA as well as medical collections, general collections and collection agency related issues. I trained these subjects at a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center and audited around 150 representatives for compliance to the laws. I have been in the Collections Industry for over 30 years. I feel that everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with compassion and that is the way I trained collectors. Even though I worked for a Collection Agency, I get great satisfaction in helping those who have been mistreated or in need of help with these confusing issues.

I was the Compliance Administrator with a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center-I have trained hundreds of collectors on the above referenced topics. I have been in the medical collections industry for over twenty years and research these topics on a daily basis.

ACA International

Some college ACA Certified Collection Specialist

I am retired due to medical conditions and spend a good deal of time keeping current on collection issues.