Collections Law/Confused!!

Question
Hello Ray,

One debt specialist told me I will stop getting harassed by debt collectors once I am outside the statute of limitations, another one told me the collectors will never stop trying to collect unless I file for bankruptcy (he said an expired statute of limitations could get a lawsuit dismissed if I am taken to court, but it still won't prevent them from trying to collect in the first place). Which of these answers is accurate? I am very confused!

Thank you for your time,
James

Answer
The statute of limitations stops legal methods of collections such as lawsuits. Technically, the debt itself never expires so the calls could continue.  This it normally not the case.  Your best option it to send the collector a cease and desist letter.  Sent this letter certified and tell them to not contact you in any way about the debt.  If I were you, I would keep a debt diary on this debt.  Write down everything you do, everyone you speak with and every letter you write.  That way you never have to rely on your memory in case you have to take someone to court over this.  I wish you the best with this and if you need further assistance please let me know.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller