Collections Law/Contacted by NCO Portfolio Management

I am being contacted and harassed by NCO Portfolio Management.  I ask them for information about the account they're trying to collect.  NCO will not give it to me and they keep asking me for personal info about myself. They also just started calling me at work! I would like to send NCO a cease communication letter but since NCO will not give me any information I don't know where to send it.  Please give me some advice. Thank you in advance. I live in New York State.

Good question. The most important point to remember when dealing with any Collection Agency is that you do not have to give them any information if you do not wish to. You always have the option of hanging up the phone. You are not obligated to speak with a debt collector under any circumstances.

Get the collector to identify their company name, address and telephone number so that you can call them back. This is important information, especially if they should be calling you at work. Again, this is essential information you need to obtain for the record.

Lastly, ask NCO Portfolio to send you something via mail. This will give you all of the necessary information you'll need in order to send them a Cease & Desist letter.

Hope this gets helps. If you have any other questions, please ask.

Jason A. Shear, Esq.
NY Creditor Harassment Attorney
Admitted in NY & NJ
(716) 566-8988

Collections Law

Jason Shear, Esq.

I can answer questions for residents of New York and New Jersey regarding creditor harassment claims under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA); credit reporting errors under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA); debt collection defense/credit card defense; student loan law; and consumer class actions. I can also answer questions relating to consumer debt defense/collection agency defense, specifically pertaining to consumers being sued or harassed by collection agencies or NY collection attorneys. If you live in New York and have been contacted or sued by firms such as: Mel Harris & Associates, Forster & Garbus, Rubin & Rothman, Choi Law Office, Lacy Katzen, Malen & Associates, Solomon & Solomon, Daniels & Norelli, Cohen & Slamowitz, Pressler & Pressler or others; give us a call at (716) 566-8988.

I have obtained settlements for consumers in NY and NJ under the FDCPA and FCRA. I have successfully defended consumers who were sued by collection agencies/debt purchasers in the New York State courts.

National Association of Consumer Advocates (NACA) Law Offices of Jason Shear Consumer Attorneys 3957 Main Street, Second Floor Buffalo, New York 14226 (716) 566-8988

BA/BS, Accounting & Political Science, Hunter College. Juris Doctor, Univ. at Buffalo Law School. LLM (Criminal Law), University at Buffalo.