Collections Law/medical collection

Question
QUESTION: Had a visit to hospital in 2005, insurance was supposed to take care of bill. 9 yes later I just received a collection notice from a collection company stating I owe 917 dollars. They want to settle for 321. Or the hit my credit report... is there any statute of limitations that expire this bill at this point? What options do I have? Should I settle for the 321? (Hard to do that on a budget)

ANSWER: The statutes should be over and gone on this account.  Please tell me what state you live in so I can research.

QUESTION: I live in Utah

Answer
According to my research, the statute of limitations in Utah is eight years This debt should not be reported on your credit history.  Start a collection diary documenting every letter/conversation with the collection agency.  My advice would be to send a certified letter to the agency explaining your belief that they are attempting to collect on a time barred account and that any further attempts to collect this debt will lead to legal action.  Be prepared to get an attorney and file a lawsuit under the protection given under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller