Collections Law/Received Notice to Admit from Debt Buyer

Hi Mr. Shear:

I hope you can help. I was served with a debt collection lawsuit by a NY debt collection law firm a couple of months ago.  I filed an answer.  It pertains to an old credit card I had many years ago.  

Yesterday, I received in the mail from the collection agency's lawyer a "notice to admit".  It states in it if I do not answer within twenty days of receipt the questions are deemed admitted.  

The Notice to Admit asks if I had the account with the credit card company, did I receive statements and if I applied for credit with the original credit card company?  

What do I do?  Thanks in advance for your help.

Great question! Many debt buyers in particular may have little evidence to establish their case, and little interest in obtaining the evidence.  Instead, they may try to win their case using your own admissions.  Shortly after a consumer files an Answer, the collector will send the consumer/defendant a lengthy list of statements, asking you to admit to them, hoping you will not respond in a timely manner.  

Failure to respond is treated as an admission of all the requested statements.  The debt buyer's attorney then appends those statements to a summary judgment motion and seeks to prevail in the third party debt collection case although presenting little or none of its own evidence.  By serving a Notice to Admit collectors prey on unrepresented New York consumers' lack of legal knowledge, attempting to prove their case by sleight of hand when they can not do so by evidence in the New York Courts.

The Notice To Admit sent to you by this debt collection law firm is improper.  A Notice to Admit in New York is restricted to several narrow limits including those items as to which the party requesting the admission reasonably believes there can be no substantial dispute at trial and which are within the knowledge of such other party or can be ascertained by him or her upon reasonable inquiry.  A notice to admit can not be used as a substitute for existing discovery devices or a subterfuge for obtaining further discovery.  In addition, a notice to admit can not be used to ask questions pertaining to the heart of the dispute.

If you owe this account and applied for credit with the alleged original creditor is the heart of the dispute.  As such, the debt collector's notice to admit is improper.

I have made pro-consumer case law in the NY Courts regarding this very issue!

What you need to do is file a Motion pursuant to New York CPLR 3103 to strike the Plaintiff's (the debt buyer's) Notice to Admit on the grounds that the requests for admission were improper under CPLR 3123.

If you have any other questions, please to not hesitate to call.

Jason A. Shear, Esq.
Admitted in NY & NJ
New York Consumer & Debt Defense Attorney
Phone: (716) 566-8988

Collections Law

Jason Shear, Esq.

I can answer questions for residents of New York and New Jersey regarding creditor harassment claims under the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA); credit reporting errors under the Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA); debt collection defense/credit card defense; student loan law; and consumer class actions. I can also answer questions relating to consumer debt defense/collection agency defense, specifically pertaining to consumers being sued or harassed by collection agencies or NY collection attorneys. If you live in New York and have been contacted or sued by firms such as: Mel Harris & Associates, Forster & Garbus, Rubin & Rothman, Choi Law Office, Lacy Katzen, Malen & Associates, Solomon & Solomon, Daniels & Norelli, Cohen & Slamowitz, Pressler & Pressler or others; give us a call at (716) 566-8988.

I have obtained settlements for consumers in NY and NJ under the FDCPA and FCRA. I have successfully defended consumers who were sued by collection agencies/debt purchasers in the New York State courts.

National Association of Consumer Advocates (NACA) Law Offices of Jason Shear Consumer Attorneys 3957 Main Street, Second Floor Buffalo, New York 14226 (716) 566-8988

BA/BS, Accounting & Political Science, Hunter College. Juris Doctor, Univ. at Buffalo Law School. LLM (Criminal Law), University at Buffalo.