Collections Law/collections

My previous rental place sent the amount owed to them to collections 3 days after I turned my keys in to them. The amount included Mays full rent because I didn't give them thirty day written notice but they said they would release me from this bcause of a sudden medical issue and plus an extra 9 days of rent, these where the  first 9 days of May since I didn't turn my keys until the ninth of May. How can they double charge me legally. I understand the nine days since I didn't turn the keys until the ninth but the thirty days also, I could have stayed in the apt for the month of May and just owed one month's rent instead of one months and 9 days.  The move out day was a Friday and on that Monday it was in collections. I believe they falsely charged me extra and had no right to put in collections. Is this true

Unfortunately, they can turn anything they want to over to collections however, they must  be able to prove the debt. Dispute the debt with the collection agency and ask for verification of this debt. This may be one that you want to let an attorney help you with. This rent issues are tricky and I would hate to give you the wrong advice. I do know that it is your right to dispute the debt under the Fair Debt Collections Practices Act. Good luck with this and let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller

I am qualified to answer questions on the following subjects: FDCPA, FCRA and HIPAA as well as medical collections, general collections and collection agency related issues. I trained these subjects at a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center and audited around 150 representatives for compliance to the laws. I have been in the Collections Industry for over 30 years. I feel that everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with compassion and that is the way I trained collectors. Even though I worked for a Collection Agency, I get great satisfaction in helping those who have been mistreated or in need of help with these confusing issues.

I was the Compliance Administrator with a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center-I have trained hundreds of collectors on the above referenced topics. I have been in the medical collections industry for over twenty years and research these topics on a daily basis.

ACA International

Some college ACA Certified Collection Specialist

I am retired due to medical conditions and spend a good deal of time keeping current on collection issues.