Collections Law/Follow-Up on 8/28 discussion RE Mississippi Collection

Question
Hi, I had posted a question last week 8/28,and I couldn't figure out how to post a f/u without creating a new thread. I'm from MS, rec'd a collection agency call on a 7 year county hospital bill on 8/25, I rec'd the first piece of mail on 8/29 which stated only that they verified my employment and intend to "ask their client to file suit" on a debt this old what is the odds that they just bought this debt? I'm doubting the hospital still owns it? Anyway, I mailed (certified with required signature) on Tues (mom was holiday) disputing the debt, asking for contractual proof that the debt is owed, and asking all communications to be in writing. I haven't heard from them by phone all week, is asking for written communication only like begging for a law suit? I'm wondering why I never rec'd a first notice if the debt from them, there's NO mention at all in the "intent to sue" letter that I have 30 days to dispute the debt. But that is my right isn't it? I thought COll Agencies had to send a letter containing that info. It said in small print on the very back that at the time that letter was mailed that a lawyer had not yet reviewed the account. Which is further confusing to me! Also, I pulled a credit report today and I see it has been reported to my credit (not sure how long it's been on there)so I kind of feel like I'm just basically waiting for a lawsuit. What are your thoughts?

Incidentally, I have only unsecured debt.
Thanks

Answer
Anna - at this point, all you can do is wait and see what they do.  I think $4600, even with interest (assuming that is applicable), is very little, and you have no real assets for them to go after.  If they go forward, you can tell them you'll file bankruptcy.  You never said how much you owe totally so I cannot judge if it would make sense to file or rather to try to work something out.  But they may go away completely at this point, given the unlikely ability to collect from you.  Let me know if anything happens.

Collections Law

Michael T. Hertz