Collections Law/Medical Bill

I reside in Ohio and I had a medical procedure at a hospital in Ohio 9/22/2010.  The total charges were $10,000+.  My insurance paid the hospital $5000+ and there was an insurance adjustment of $3000+.  I have paid the hospital $1000+ over the last four years, making monthly payments of $20.
On 9/10/2014, I received a phone call from a debt collection agency about this bill.  Can a creditor turn a bill over to a collection agency when you are making timely payments?
I have a statement from 8/13/2014 that does not mention anything about the account being delinquent or being turned over to a collection agency.
Isn't there some law regarding acceleration practices?

Hello Sharon.  I am afraid you will not like my answer but, a creditor can turn a past due debt over to a collection agency at anytime, payments or not.  It is a shame that they can do this to people who are trying but they have the right.  I would suggest first that you keep a collection diary on this debt. Document all correspondence written and oral. That way you will not have to deal with a he said she said situation in the future.  Your best bet is to contact the collection agency and try to make a settlement offer. Start at 50% and see where it goes. If they will settle, it would be worth borrowing the money to pay it.  Perhaps you could borrow the amount from a family member.  At least this way you can keep this debt from going against your credit record.

I wish I had better news for you and wish you the best in resolving this matter.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller

I am qualified to answer questions on the following subjects: FDCPA, FCRA and HIPAA as well as medical collections, general collections and collection agency related issues. I trained these subjects at a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center and audited around 150 representatives for compliance to the laws. I have been in the Collections Industry for over 30 years. I feel that everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with compassion and that is the way I trained collectors. Even though I worked for a Collection Agency, I get great satisfaction in helping those who have been mistreated or in need of help with these confusing issues.

I was the Compliance Administrator with a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center-I have trained hundreds of collectors on the above referenced topics. I have been in the medical collections industry for over twenty years and research these topics on a daily basis.

ACA International

Some college ACA Certified Collection Specialist

I am retired due to medical conditions and spend a good deal of time keeping current on collection issues.