Collections Law/Denied Insurance claims, no EOBs, dentists office never told us

Question
For the last year, my wife and I have been taking our 3 kids to the dentist to do a fair amount of work. We were told by the dentist's office what the insurance would cover and we would pay the remainder up front. We just found out yesterday that the insurance had been denying the claims and we are apparently responsible for another $2500 roughly. We have made several trips to this dentist and were never informed of this. It was when we called the insurance to ask about the deductible that we stumbled upon this mess. We were also never sent a single EOB from the dental insurance provider. Neither of the 2 entities had ever notified us of anything different than what we had been told initially, therefore, we thought we were current and up to date.

In the fine print for the dentist's paperwork it reads that they are estimates and may not be the correct amount, but surely something can be said for the fact that insurance continually denied the claims and we were never notified from either company.

Is there anything that can be done or are we on the hook for this?

Answer
You may be on the hook for this.  The only two things I can think of is that the dentist's office was holding the bills until the insurance company made a final decision OR the insurance company for some reason took the money back.  My suggestion to you is to contact the insurance company and demand to know what happened.  If they do not respond, report them to the Insurance Commissioner and they will find out what when wrong.  I would also ask for an explanation from the dentist.  From this point on, start a collection diary on this matter. Document date, time and who you dealt with. Communicate as much as you can in writing. For example, when you ask the dentist office and the insurance company what is going on, send them a letter.

I wish you the best with this situation.

Ray

Collections Law

Ray A Miller