Collections Law/Credit report

My credit report shows a $79.00 charge to Franklin Col.  How do I find out what this charge is for and to whom I might pay to clear it from my credit report?  Divorced 3 years ago, still trying to clean up my credit as everything we owned was typically in my name.  I lived in Tennessee while married, now I reside in Missouri.
Thank you

Good morning Tonya:

According to what I could find through my research, Franklin Col. is a collection agency. First, you should dispute the debt with all three credit-reporting agencies (I will list them below).  Next write a letter to Franklin Col. asking for validation of the debt. They are required under the FDCPA (Fair Debt Collection Practices Act) to provide you with this information.  If you owe the debt, call Franklin Col. and tell them that you are willing to pay the debt but you would appreciate it being removed from your credit since you just found out about it. They may not, but it never hurts to ask. I hope you find this information useful and should you need more information please let me know.  I hope you have a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller

I am qualified to answer questions on the following subjects: FDCPA, FCRA and HIPAA as well as medical collections, general collections and collection agency related issues. I trained these subjects at a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center and audited around 150 representatives for compliance to the laws. I have been in the Collections Industry for over 30 years. I feel that everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with compassion and that is the way I trained collectors. Even though I worked for a Collection Agency, I get great satisfaction in helping those who have been mistreated or in need of help with these confusing issues.

I was the Compliance Administrator with a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center-I have trained hundreds of collectors on the above referenced topics. I have been in the medical collections industry for over twenty years and research these topics on a daily basis.

ACA International

Some college ACA Certified Collection Specialist

I am retired due to medical conditions and spend a good deal of time keeping current on collection issues.