Collections Law/Debtt

Years ago when I was a freshman out of high school at 18. I was hired offshore and got a car as a first time buyer. Within a few months, I had gotten fired from my job, couldn't pay the notes, and volunteered to have the company to repossess the car. When I turned 19, a man came to me in a suit and gave me papers to be served in court. As being a young kid, I was so scared and confused because I did not know what those papers meant. I mean come on, I was a borderline teenager and made a mistake from jumping so fast on getting a car. I never knew anything about credit or debt. Even when I signed the contract when purchasing the car, I was too excited to read everything without realizing how stupid I was. It was 2006 when I got the car. The car was repossessed in 2007. 7 and a half years went by and was told it would be off my credit. Well they found my address and sent a letter stating that they are making another  judgement against me to collect not only what I owe, but more for the court fees and interests. After all these years of changing my life around with kids and wife, putting my past behind me, they still are chasing me down and harassing me with letters and was sneaky enough to stick another judgement against me.

There's not a whoole lot you can do except work out a payment problem or file a bankruptcy.  I don't kow how much is being claimed, what your income is, and what your assets are.  If they have another jusgment, then they can keep renewing it every ten years or so and keep it hanging there, with increasing interest.  I don't know what your other debts are.  If you have family or friends that will help you pay this office, you can probably avoid filing bankruptc

The bottom line is that they can do what they are doing, unfortunarely and keep harassing should they choose.  Sorry.

Collections Law

Michael T. Hertz

I can answer most questions concerning bankruptcy, whether business or personal, including questions by debtors, creditors, persons interested in purchasing assets from bankruptcy estates, and the like. Also have expertise in tort law, French and Canadian law.

Practiced bankruptcy for 27 years in California and taught bankruptcy for three years in Maine. This included Chapters 7, 9, 11, 12 and 13 cases, representing debtors, creditors (secured and unsecured), bankruptcy trustees, creditors committees, and persons interested in purchasing assets from bankruptcies. Debtors included persons with virtually no money up to large corporations.

Inactive member of the Bar of the State of California. Nonpracticing member of the Bar of Massachusetts. Formerly member of the Maine Bar and conseil juridique in France. Certified by National Committee on Accreditation in Canada.

Georgetown Law Review; California Bankruptcy Journal; Maine Law Review; Dalhousie Law Journal; University of Toronto Law Journal.

Harvard Law School (J.D. 1970; cum laude) and Pomona College (B.A., 1967; cum laude)

Selected as a "Superlawyer" in 2005 and 2006 for Northern California.