Collections Law/Collecting Agency

Question

I recently moved out an apartment complex and was told that I paid my last bill.  When I moved out I didn't do a walk-through inspection.  I sent an email to leasing office asking if I have any owe amount I need to pay. To which I didn't get a response.  A month passed, and now I received a call today from a debt collecting agency stating that I owed $21.80 to the apartment complex and $374 to the collecting agency as fee.  I mean I am willing the pay the amount that I owed to the apartment complex but I was never notified or billed for that amount and was put in collection and they're asking me to pay the $374 fee as well towards the agency.  

What can I do at this point if I dispute being unjustly billed extra for the fee?

Answer
Hello Jack.  Do you have a copy of your contract?  I would guess that any additional collection fees would have to be mentioned there. Also, keep a copy of that email.  Send the collection agency a letter of dispute asking for an itemized bill.  Also ask them what gives them the authority charge such a ridiculous collection fee.

Let me know which state you live in co I can research the collection fee matter.  This does not sound right to me, but I have hear of worse. I will be happy to further research if you would like.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller