You are here:

Collections Law/judgement in another state


I live in PA and I won a judgment against someone who lived in New Jersey, the suit was filed in New Jersey , no money has been paid up to now and he doesn't own any property, however may inherent property in the future in New Jersey. The person now lives in PA is there any way to get a judgment against him in PA too?

Yes, but how hold is the Judgment, most expire after seven years but it gives you the right to garnish wages and or writ of execution on personal property. Laws do vary from state to state.
The judgment must be domesticated in the State where the debtor resides or has assets. All judgment liens should be perfected as soon as possible. The creditor may enforce the judgment by executing upon the assets of the debtor. Please check the laws of Pennsylvania. Good luck.

Collections Law

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Gary Lee Gammenthaler


Collections Law, Fair Debt Practices Act, Fair Credit Reporting Act, Credit Repair Organizations Act, Bankruptcy Law,etc.


25 years in the collection agency business, 5 years in credit repair business.

4 years Brigham Young University, 2 years Utah Valley University.

Past/Present Clients
Taco Bell. Tunex Automotive Repair, Carl's Jr, Sound Warehouse, 20 Attorneys in Utah, 40 Apartment Complexes in Utah.

©2017 All rights reserved.