Collections Law/Debt collection suit filed prior to settlement offer expiration

Question
I had been given a settlement offer with a specific deadline to accept it. The collection attorney filed suit 1 day prior to its expiration. I paid the first payment on the settlement offer on the same day. I called to complain about the early filing of the suit and was told that they would not dismiss the suit and that I could only get a consent judgement. I am OK with the settlement options, but do not want this settlement to be a court judgment. What options might I have?

Answer
If you have something in writing stating that this attorney agreed to settle this debt but filed suit a day before the expiation date, he/she is in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act and can be liable for fines and penalties. I strongly advise you to seek legal counsel on this matter. If you do not have anything in writing, you need to go ahead and pay the pay the bill in full before the court date.  I wish you the best with this matter.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller