Collections Law/Can old creditor seize my house sale proceeds?

Question
Dear Mr Pitcher:
I'll be very grateful for any insight on this. My husband and I are in our 60s and live in a house we co-own. We have two long-established mortgages, one with a bank and the other with a private individual who says that if we sell the house he won't call in his mortgage but will let us use his share of the proceeds to downsize and transfer his loan to the new, smaller house. He is willing to put this in writing. However, when my small business failed years ago, a creditor got a judgment against me which is still outstanding. I haven't heard from the creditor for years and I can't find anything at the deeds office showing that a judgment lien is  attached to the house, but I'm worried that if we sell the house the creditor will hear of it and resurface and block the sale or seize some of the proceeds. Is my anxiety justified? Thanks! - Marge

Answer
Hi Marge,

The best way to find out if that creditor will give you problems is to order a title report from a title company or attorney. That will tell you if the judgement is still there against you or if it has passes the statute of limitations, which is 6 years in most states. The creditor doesn't have any right to the proceeds unless the judgement is still against you. If its not against you then the creditor can't do anything about stopping the sale of the property. If all this was over 6 years ago or more then you shouldn't have anything to worry about. However the best person to verify this for you would be a title company in your state. They will tell you if the creditor still has a right to the proceeds. If they have a right to the proceeds then that could stop the sale of the property but in my opinion that would be the only way.

Hope that this helps.

Brian

Collections Law

Brian Pitcher