Collections Law/physician debt collection after 5yrs

Question
Hi my name is Kyle.  I have recently discovered that I have a collection around 1200 through my credit Karma account. This was not on there 2 days ago and no one has contacted me regarding this.  After reviewing this its from a physician I saw at a Emergency Room visit 5 yrs ago.  All the bills where paid through a charity Care program 100% at that time.  
  I called the number listed on credit Karma for the credit collection & beauro to ask ?s why I had a collection and who I should talk to get more information.  The person told me to call the hospital and ask ?s.
  I called the hospital patient accounts office and they stated that I had no balance with them and that they where not pursuing any money from me. She stated it sounds like maybe a Physician you saw in the ED sent a collection.  
 I find it frustrating that my credit has taken a significant hit and no one has contacted me for years that I could possibly have a bill. Im not Shure who to contact to get this sorted out.  
  If I do owe some one money I would had paid it.  The only thing I care about is my credit score so I can get a mortgage.

I appreciate any info you would have on this subject.

thx  KYLE

Answer
Kyle,

The charity program took care of the hospital charges but not the ER Physicians bill.  Everyone is entitled to one free credit bureau report each year.  I would advise that you take advantage of this and get a copy of your report to see who reported this.  When you get the name and address, contact them and find out why you were not billed. Explain to them that the hospital charges were written off to charity and (if this is the case) your financial situation has not improved and you would like for these charges to be considered for charity as well. If you are able to pay the debt, offer them 50% of the balance to settle the account in full. They may not agree to this but, it never hurts to ask.  If they accept your offer, ask that they also remove this item from your credit. In the meantime, dispute this account with the credit bureaus.  The Physicians Group will have to then provide proof of the debt. The website addresses you will need to request your credit bureau report and to dispute the debt are as follows:

For the disputes:

Equifax  https://www.ai.equifax.com/CreditInvestigation/home.action
Transunion:  https://www.transunion.com/dispute
Experian:  http://www.experian.com/disputes/main.html

To get your credit report:  https://secure.nationalcreditreport.com/us/7019/34991ff/t420/012/lp/012-583b/?sid=GUSNK10252&c=MjYzNSA0MTUzNDMxMDAgMjUgNjAgNTczMSAxMzM1OTE1OTI5IDA1MjgyMDE1MTcyMTA0

I realize this is a ton of information so if you need further assistance do not hesitate sending a follow up question.  I wish you well with this situation.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller