Collections Law/Summon Docs Questions

I was looking up my information on our public court website so see the status of a debt collection. I saw this information on the website and kind of confused me on what it means.

#1.  Wondering if you can clarify this for me? (Correct that isnít my real name)

06/08/2015 , Judge Signed Order Granting Motion for Second Summons and Alternate Service. Copies Mailed to Plaintiff's Attorney (by SASE) on 6/9/15

06/09/2015 , Summons: Service Issued to Adam Smith on 6/9/2015; Assigned to Attorney. Service Fee of $0.00. Second Summons

06/09/2015 , Summons: Document service returned not served to Adam Smith on 6/9/2015; Assigned to Attorney. Service Fee of $0.00.

Some papers the other day was delivered in the mail, no it wasnít served. Just sent regular mail. At the bottom of what seems to be court documents stating, ď THIS FIRM IS A DEBT COLLECTOR. WE AE ATTEMPTING TO COLLECT A DEBT AND ANY INFORMAITON WILL BE USED FOR THAT PURPOSE.Ē and on another paper at the bottom states, ďTHIS IS A COMMUNICATION FROM A DEBT COLLECTOR. WE ARE ATTEMPTING TO COLLECT A DEBT AND ANY INFORMATION OBTAINED WILL BE USED FOR THAT PURPROSE.Ē

#2. What does that type of information mean at the bottom?

#3. What does second summons and complaint mean to me? Am I to actually do anything? Will they actually get a judgment based on this?

I have never spoken with this debt collector nor talked with the courts about this.

#5. What I would like to figure out is if the rest of this information sent to me is from the courts demanding that I come in to see them or is this debt collector just trying to scare me into doing something rash that will help them?

I am looking out for what benefits me at this moment as I have other things to work on at this time.

Thank you for any help and understand. I truly do understand the paying of debt and yes we all work with what we have at the moment. Thatís what Iím doing for myself.  Thanks again!

I'd have to see a copy of the judge's order and a copy of what was served on you.  It sounds as though the judge may have authorized service by mail because of a lack of success in serving you in person.  But that is not certain.  So I cannot answer #5 with seeing the order and reading what is being demanded of you.  Your best bet is to get a copy of the order and the second summons at the courthouse and see if a clerk will assist you.  If not, get a lawyer or an least some public assistance.  If you can send me photocopies, I may be able to figure it out.  You can send the photocopies to me a

Collections Law

Michael T. Hertz

I can answer most questions concerning bankruptcy, whether business or personal, including questions by debtors, creditors, persons interested in purchasing assets from bankruptcy estates, and the like. Also have expertise in tort law, French and Canadian law.

Practiced bankruptcy for 27 years in California and taught bankruptcy for three years in Maine. This included Chapters 7, 9, 11, 12 and 13 cases, representing debtors, creditors (secured and unsecured), bankruptcy trustees, creditors committees, and persons interested in purchasing assets from bankruptcies. Debtors included persons with virtually no money up to large corporations.

Inactive member of the Bar of the State of California. Nonpracticing member of the Bar of Massachusetts. Formerly member of the Maine Bar and conseil juridique in France. Certified by National Committee on Accreditation in Canada.

Georgetown Law Review; California Bankruptcy Journal; Maine Law Review; Dalhousie Law Journal; University of Toronto Law Journal.

Harvard Law School (J.D. 1970; cum laude) and Pomona College (B.A., 1967; cum laude)

Selected as a "Superlawyer" in 2005 and 2006 for Northern California.