Collections Law/Savings Acct. on hold

The Ford Motor Credit Co, went through a law firm and they put a hold on my savings account. This debt was from 1998, I received no phone call or paper work that they were going to do this. Two weeks ago they put my savings account on hold. I am on Social Security Disability. I was informed by them that they were not allowed to take from my disability check. However once I transfered it to my savings they said they could grab it. My state is Maryland. How do I get a hold of the Ford Motor Co. to talk to some one about my situation? I contacted another law firm that helps people like me out and they ask for paper work from either Bank of America or the law firm Ford motor Co is using and they won't send me anything.

Charles, let me first suggest you start a "collections" diary.  In this diary, record every telephone conversation (who, why, when) every letter, everything pertaining to this account. This will prevent the "he said, she said" down the road.  Contact the law firm in writing and request validation/verification of the debt. The Fair Debt Collection Practices Act requires that they comply with this request.  If they refuse to comply with this request, you need to file a complaint with the Attorney General's Office and the FTC (I will provide contact information at the end). The statute of limitations in Maryland is 3 years from the date of the last activity (payment) on the account.  Does anyone have a judgment against you on this debt?  That is the only way that I know of that would allow anyone to freeze/garnish any bank account. Your information on garnishment of your disability check is correct.  Once you have been provided verification of this debt, it should contain contact information for the original creditor.  Here is an excellent article on bank accounts being frozen:  As you can see, a judgment is the first thing the collector has to obtain in order to freeze a bank account.  You have to be notified (if possible) of judgment proceedings.

Here are some sites you may need:

Federal Trade Commission:
Attorney General for the State of Maryland:
Ford Motor Credit:

I sincerely hope you find this information helpful.  Once you receive the debt verification, please let me know if you need further assistance.  I know these issues can get complicated but, I am willing to do all I can to help you.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller

I am qualified to answer questions on the following subjects: FDCPA, FCRA and HIPAA as well as medical collections, general collections and collection agency related issues. I trained these subjects at a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center and audited around 150 representatives for compliance to the laws. I have been in the Collections Industry for over 30 years. I feel that everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with compassion and that is the way I trained collectors. Even though I worked for a Collection Agency, I get great satisfaction in helping those who have been mistreated or in need of help with these confusing issues.

I was the Compliance Administrator with a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center-I have trained hundreds of collectors on the above referenced topics. I have been in the medical collections industry for over twenty years and research these topics on a daily basis.

ACA International

Some college ACA Certified Collection Specialist

I am retired due to medical conditions and spend a good deal of time keeping current on collection issues.