Collections Law/Breach of confidentiality?

My husband is 45 yrs old, he was laid off in jan, so things have been tight and we did fall behind on our water bill, but we still had about 5 days to pay our bill, which we did. My husband's father owns a few businesses in the very small town we live in. My husband's father called the night before last because a guy at the water office called him and told him we were behind on the bill. My husband was embarassed, just doesnt seem right they should be able to do that, is there anything that can be done? Thanks for any help.

Yes, there is something you can do.  Since the person who breached your husband's confidentiality is a part of city government, a formal complaint can be filed with the city and he will be reprimanded according to city policy.  As far as an actionable legal case, since the person did not tell an untruth, it will be hard to charge them with anything.  You may want to contact an attorney and have him/her contact the city attorney and find out what the city policy is on violation of trust.  If they have a confidentiality clause (and most do) there is a possibility that the city will offer a settlement rather than face public accusations. I would at least have this incident place on record. Public officials have no business spreading city business all over the place. Check with an attorney and see what your options might be.  I wish you the best with this situation and if you need further assistance please let me know.

Collections Law

Ray A Miller

I am qualified to answer questions on the following subjects: FDCPA, FCRA and HIPAA as well as medical collections, general collections and collection agency related issues. I trained these subjects at a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center and audited around 150 representatives for compliance to the laws. I have been in the Collections Industry for over 30 years. I feel that everyone deserves to be treated fairly and with compassion and that is the way I trained collectors. Even though I worked for a Collection Agency, I get great satisfaction in helping those who have been mistreated or in need of help with these confusing issues.

I was the Compliance Administrator with a nationwide collection agency and customer service call center-I have trained hundreds of collectors on the above referenced topics. I have been in the medical collections industry for over twenty years and research these topics on a daily basis.

ACA International

Some college ACA Certified Collection Specialist

I am retired due to medical conditions and spend a good deal of time keeping current on collection issues.