Collections Law/medical equipment co. i owe

Question
Thank you for helping me.
I have a balance of about $300 I owe to a medical equipment co. for my oxygen supplies. (Called Care)
Recently I started working with company to lower my payments and consolidate my debts. They contacted Careto see if they would accept payments of $10 monthly. they turned it down and said
"We want payment in full and at any time we can send this to collections"

SO, I figure I better pay them in full asap.  My question is....
I could pay them with my current credit card or dip into my savings (which is only $500) what would be better?

Is it a big deal to have your bill send to collections? I don't understand why they won't accept the amount it's not like I told them I wasn't going to pay them. I paid them a lump sum of $100 about six months ago when I had the extra money.

THanks

Answer
If you don't have a current statement of what is owing, I would demand one.  If you can handle it, and it is consistent with the repayment plan set up, I would pay them $100 a month and get it over with.  You need to see how that debt fits into the bigger picture.  Pay off the debts which have the bigger rate of accruing interest (I wouldn't use a credit card, because the interest rate on that is probably higher than the debt you are talking about).  I would talk to the people who are working with you on debt relief.

Collections Law

Michael T. Hertz