Collections Law/Bad debtor

Question
Dear Mr. Michael,

I am currently running a small business selling spare parts to another company on 30 days credit term. It has been over 60 days and the debt has yet to be settled. 50% deposit was paid initially upon delivery but the remaining sum is not. Now the sum isn't large and I am tired of all the follow-up calls and I don't want to use lawyer for this "small" stuff. If I make it public disclosing this bad debt online at every social media like facebook and others so that other small businesses like me dealing with (or will deal with) this bad debtor may know it to be a bad paymaster and refuse to do business with it, will I be risking lawsuit from such disclosure? By the way, I have the signed invoice to prove this is not some made up stuff. Is there any section of the law that shines light on such matter? If I insist on such disclosure approach, do you have any suggestion on making this legally acceptable?

Answer
Anyone can file a lawsuit so there is always a risk.  But if it is a relatively small sum, why not do this? (1) Send a demand letter to the company for the money, and in it tell them that you plan to file a small claims action.  Tell them also that you will publicize your lawsuit on Facebook and elsewhere.  Offer to discuss the matter with them if they are having trouble making the payment. Give them 5 or 7 days to respond.  (2) If they do not pay or respond with something acceptable, then prepare and file the small claims action.  You can do that without a lawyer, and if you are running a small business and do not know how to file a small claims action, it's a good thing to know how to do.  Once you file the action, then do your publicity.

If you publicize without filing a lawsuit, then there is a risk (slight, but there) that you might be sued for defamation.  But generally speaking it's not defamation to report the existence of a lawsuit and what it's about.  To sue for defamation the defamation would need to show that there was absolutely no basis for the lawsuit.

Hopefully, the defendant will settle to avoid the small claims action.

Collections Law

Michael T. Hertz