College Financial Aid Info/Help paying bills

Hello Trish, I am not completely sure but I have heard of scholarship wich will help you to pay your bills/living costs while you are in school? I am a 26 yr old single mother of a 3 yr old and a 1 yr old and am struggling to make ends meet because I am only making 560 a month as a work study. I fear I may have to just go and get a full time job so that I am able to provide better for my children and I. I fear that if I have to do that then school will have to be on the back burner but I am so close to finishing up with my AA and want to pursue my BA and possibly my MA. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thank you, Misty

Hello Misty,

There are no specific scholarships designed just to help students pay bills or living costs, but there are sources of help for single mothers. Here are some websites:

Also, if you are receiving financial aid, any extra money that you have leftover from your financial aid reward can be used towards bills and rent. Have you applied for financial aid yet? If not, here's what you need to do:

1)  Fill out the FAFSA. This will determine if you are eligible for financial aid. Go here:

2)  Once you are eligible for aid, choose a government-based student loan. The best loan to get is a Federal Perkins Loan. These have low interest rates and the government will help you pay it back as long as you stay enrolled in school. You also don't need a cosigner or good credit for it. For more info go here:

3) The next best loan to get is a Subsidized Stafford Loan. This has many of the same benefits as a Perkins Loan. Learn more here:

You can still try to get a grant or scholarship, which are both free money sources that you can use to pay for school, and you don't have to pay them back. You can read about grants here:

Here are sites that offer grants:

You can read about scholarships here:
And here are some good sites that offer scholarships:

I hope that this information helps. I wish you the best of luck!

College Financial Aid Info

Trish Smith

I can answer a variety of questions on college financial aid, student bank accounts, student budgets, student credit cards, student loans, and scholarships.

I currently write for a website that offers information to students about how to pay for college and how to manage their money wisely.

I received my Bachelor of Arts in English in 2002 and my Master's of Liberal Studies in 2007.