College Financial Aid Info/Financial Aid


My niece is an unwed teen (17 yrs old) with a brand new baby.  She is an excellent student and her goal has always been to be a doctor.  She is trying to get into U of M's med school or into a good nursing program, but does not know where to begin with the financial aid issue.

I'm sure there are scholarships out there for unwed teen mothers to help them out.  

Can you please help?

Hello Laurie,

I want to thank you for being such a great aunt and being concerned about your niece's future. She is very fortunate to have such a caring family member!

There are many sources of financial aid that your niece can apply for to help her reach her medical goals. Of course, the best sources to apply for are free sources that you don't have to pay back!

Grants are the first option you should look into. Grants are free sources of money offered by the government to help cover various financial costs, including college tuition. You can read more about them here:

In order to be eligible for a grant, or any other federal financial aid, your niece will need to complete the FAFSA. She can do this here:

Once she is eligible to receive federal financial aid, then she should go to these sites to apply for grants:

Another source of free money is a scholarship. There are thousands of scholarships awarded to students every year, so there is bound to be one that is suited for your niece. You can read more about scholarships here:

Here are sites that offer scholarships:

And here are sites that offer medical scholarships:

There are also many sites that offer advice and financial aid to single mothers. Here are a few:

Finally, if she does not receive enough free financial aid to cover tuition, she can always apply for a federal student loan. The best loan to get is a Federal Perkins Loan. These have low interest rates and the government will help you pay it back as long as you stay enrolled in school. You also don't need a cosigner or good credit for it. For more info go here:

The next best loan to get is a Subsidized Stafford Loan. This has many of the same benefits as a Perkins Loan. Learn more here:

I hope that this information helps you both. I wish your niece the best of luck in her college education!

College Financial Aid Info

All Answers

Ask Experts


Trish Smith


I can answer a variety of questions on college financial aid, student bank accounts, student budgets, student credit cards, student loans, and scholarships.


I currently write for a website that offers information to students about how to pay for college and how to manage their money wisely.

I received my Bachelor of Arts in English in 2002 and my Master's of Liberal Studies in 2007.

©2017 All rights reserved.