College Financial Aid Info/Single mother Education help


My girlfriend is a single mother in the state of Indiana who is planning on going to Joliet Junior College in the fall of 2008.  I was wondering if there is anyone that could help point out some ways to fund schooling and living (housing) expenses; such as grants, gov assistance, or anything else.
Thank you,

Hello Paul,

It's very nice of you to find help for your girlfriend. I am sure she will appreciate it!

There are many sources of financial aid your girlfriend can apply for. The first type is a government grant. Grants are free sources of money offered by the government to students to help them cover tuition. You can read more about grants here:

In order to be eligible to receive grants she has to complete the FAFSA. She can do so by going here:

Here are some sites that offer grants:

She should also apply for scholarships, which are also free sources of money that don't have to be paid back. You can read more here:

Here are sites that offer scholarships:

There are also many sites that offer financial assistance and advice to single mothers. Here are a few:

Finally, if she can't find enough free sources of financial aid, then she can always apply for a federal student loan. The best loan to get is a Federal Perkins Loan. These have low interest rates and the government will help you pay it back as long as you stay enrolled in school. You also don't need a cosigner or good credit for it. For more info go here:

The next best loan to get is a Subsidized Stafford Loan. This has many of the same benefits as a Perkins Loan. Learn more here:

I hope this information helps you and your girlfriend. I wish you both the best of luck!

College Financial Aid Info

All Answers

Ask Experts


Trish Smith


I can answer a variety of questions on college financial aid, student bank accounts, student budgets, student credit cards, student loans, and scholarships.


I currently write for a website that offers information to students about how to pay for college and how to manage their money wisely.

I received my Bachelor of Arts in English in 2002 and my Master's of Liberal Studies in 2007.

©2017 All rights reserved.