College Financial Aid Info/Student grants/loans


Hi, I am a 22 year old mother of one. I am going to be attending Saint Mary of the Woods College in the fall of 2008. I will be unemployed to become a full time student and care for my daughter. Where do I begin this process? What should I be doing now? What can I qualify for?

Hi Ashley,

You have many options to help you pay for college. The first thing you need to do is to complete the FAFSA to determine if you are eligible for federal financial aid. To do this you can go here:

Then you should apply for grants. Grants are free sources of money offered by the government to help you pay for school. And you don't have to pay them back. You can read more about them here:

Here are sites that offer grants:

Then you should apply for scholarships. Scholarships are also free sources of money that you don't have to pay back. You can read more here:

Here are sites that offer scholarships:

There are also many sources out there for single mothers. Here are some:

If you can't get enough financial assistance from grants or scholarships then you can apply for a federal student loan.

The best loan to get is a Federal Perkins Loan. These have low interest rates and the government will help you pay it back as long as you stay enrolled in school. You also don't need a cosigner or good credit for it. For more info go here:

The next best loan to get is a Subsidized Stafford Loan. This has many of the same benefits as a Perkins Loan. Learn more here:

You should begin all of this as soon as possible. That way you can get as much financial assistance as you need.

I wish you the best of luck!

College Financial Aid Info

All Answers

Ask Experts


Trish Smith


I can answer a variety of questions on college financial aid, student bank accounts, student budgets, student credit cards, student loans, and scholarships.


I currently write for a website that offers information to students about how to pay for college and how to manage their money wisely.

I received my Bachelor of Arts in English in 2002 and my Master's of Liberal Studies in 2007.

©2017 All rights reserved.