You are here:

College Financial Aid Info/single mother wanting to go to school


i have a two month old child and i live with the baby's father, but i want to go back to school. we are not married. can i get finacial aid? if so how and where do i look?

Hi Amanda,

There are many resources available to single mothers.

The first thing you should do is to check out some websites that offer financial assistance specifically to single mothers. These web sites offer not only financial assistance, but also advice on how to raise your children on your own. Here are some good sites to review:

You can also apply for government grants, which are free sources of money offered by the government that you can use to pay for school expense. The best thing about them is that you don't have to pay them back. In order to be eligible for a grant you need to complete the FAFSA (which you also need to complete to be eligible for federal student loans). You can complete the FAFSA here:

Here are sites that offer grants:

Scholarships are another free source of money you can apply for. They are available to all students, regardless of their academic background, marital status, or other. You can read more about their benefits here:

Here are some good sites that offer scholarships:

If you can not get any free financial aid, then you can apply for federal student loans. Federal loans are better than private loans because they have lower interest rates, and the government will often pay the interest for you as long as you stay enrolled in school. The two best types of federal loans to get are:

Federal Perkins Loans:

Subsidized Stafford Loans:

I hope these resources help you, and I wish you the best of luck!

College Financial Aid Info

All Answers

Ask Experts


Trish Smith


I can answer a variety of questions on college financial aid, student bank accounts, student budgets, student credit cards, student loans, and scholarships.


I currently write for a website that offers information to students about how to pay for college and how to manage their money wisely.

I received my Bachelor of Arts in English in 2002 and my Master's of Liberal Studies in 2007.

©2017 All rights reserved.