College Football/Fake Field Goal

Question
I read a response you made to Fake Field goals and the holder not being down by contact, however during Florida - Kentucky this past Saturday 9/28/13 I noticed the holder received the snap and actually grounded the ball simulating a hold, but then flipped the ball back to the kicker.  Does the grounding of the ball in NCAA rules imply the ball is dead during a place kick or PAT? Again assuming the snap is not botched but received cleanly can you place the ball on the ground and then pull it up to run, lateral, or pass?

Answer
Manny good question - putting the ball on the ground doesn't make the play dead, the ball remains live. The rule is addressed in 4-1-3-b-exception. The key is the scrimmage kick formation with the kicker in place at the time of the snap. In 2011 there was an editorial change in the NCAA rules that make this play legal and the ball remains live.

College Football

Vic Winnek