College Football/ncca football punting

Question
when can players start to release to cover punt? I thought only gunners, center and upbacks could release before ball kicked. with this rugby style the whole team seems to be running downfield. thank you for your response/

Answer
Brian,

Great question.  Unlike the NFL, in the NCAA the restriction on ineligible players being downfield only applies on passes that cross the line of scrimmage.  It doesn't apply on runs or kicks.  Therefore, on punts, the entire team can go downfield any time after the snap.  

You are correct, in the NFL, that only certain players can head downfield before the ball is kicked.  That, however, is not the rule in the NCAA.

Thanks for the question.

Bill Robers

College Football

William Robers