College Football/yardage

is there any yardage lose associated with an illegal touching penalty in colloege football

Great question.  It depends on the type of "illegal touching" being cited.

If you are referring to an ORIGINALLY ineligible player (a lineman) who intentionally touches a legal forward pass prior to it touching an opponent or an official, that results in a five-yard penalty from the previous spot, and a replay of the down.

If you are referring to an originally ELIGIBLE player (such as a receiver or back) who goes out of bounds and returns inbounds and is the first to touch a legal forward pass, that results in a loss of down at the previous spot.  (This does not apply to an originally eligible player who immediately returns inbounds after going out of bounds due to contact by an opponent).

So, the answer to your question is, it depends.  I hope that helps.

Bill Robers  

College Football

William Robers

I can answer rules questions and officiating questions (including training, mechanics, and general questions).

College Football Official since 2005; assist in training newer officials.

Big Sky Conference Officials Association Sports Lawyers Association Rotary International

Law Degree from University of Minnesota Law School, 2001 MBA from Carlson School of Management at the U. of Minnesota, 2001 B.S. in Business Administration from Marquette University, 1997

Post-Season official in 2012 and 2013.