College Football/Targeting

Question
I am curious if anything more will be done about targeting.  I do mean obvious, deliberate targeting.  It is sickening to watch a quarterback get hit with the force of a freight train, purposely targeting another person with the intent to harm, then be proud of a job "well done."  We watched Herrick from BSU take a hit that he should not have got up from. (the game before that in Florida was a ridiculous, poorly ref'd wrestling match, but we will save that for another time).  The one who smashed into him was of course ejected from the game, but was seen smiling as he walked off the field.  It is time to make these thing hurt.  Apparently being ejected from the rest of the game is not punishment enough.  It is time for tougher measures so they will think twice about doing it again, or ever.  I get that it is football, but we owe each other a duty of care.  I would like to know what you think.  Thank you.

Answer
Shelly,
Thank you for your question whether "anything more will be done about targeting.  I do mean obvious, deliberate targeting.  It is sickening to watch a quarterback get hit with the force of a freight train, purposely targeting another person with the intent to harm, then be proud of a job "well done."  
This is a very good question and I assure you the NCAA, its Football Rules Committee and each conference and their officials are trying to change the culture of these types of hits (using the crown of the helmet as a tool of force against an opponent; and/or  to cause forceful contact against an opponent above the shoulders to the neck and head.)  The game physical and contact is part of the game but there is an effort, and has been for several years, to take the "head" out of the game.  You comment on players smiling afterward or that the punishment of a disqualification is not enough.  Please know behind the scenes every week the conference offices will review these types of hits and the conferences reserve the right to take additional disciplinary actions.  Each targeting foul or play where there is helmet contact but no foul is reviewed usually by the conference's supervisor of officials.  

The smiling or celebrating such hits are disputable as to where a part of the game, most students of the game agree it is poor sportsmanship which coaches need to handle; The mentality that players must deliver "blows or hits" as opposed to fundamental hard tackling needs to change if we are to  get these hits out of the game. Also the hardest hits" type highlight reels and announcers and fans glorifying such hits needs to be tempered.  

As the game evolves so do the rules, their application and philosophies.  It is the culture of a blood sport that needs to change with the media, young fans an at the youth and high school levels.

College Football

Vic Winnek