College Football/foot in bounds

Question
If a WR catches a ball in the endzone and the heel of his foot lands in bounds first, then the ball of his foot lands out of bounds after that, is it a touchdown or incompletion?

Answer
Kurt,

Great question.  The foot is treated as a whole, if it is a normal step.  In other words, in your scenario, that is an incomplete pass, as the receiver was not able to get his foot down inbounds.  If it is not a normal step, then any part of the foot is treated as "the foot."  So, for example, if he hopped on his heel, without the ball of his foot hitting out of bounds, and then came down out of bounds, that would be a catch.  If a receiver drags his foot in bounds, that is a catch.  

I hope that helps.

Bill Robers

College Football

William Robers