College Football/foot in bounds

If a WR catches a ball in the endzone and the heel of his foot lands in bounds first, then the ball of his foot lands out of bounds after that, is it a touchdown or incompletion?

Great question.  The foot is treated as a whole, if it is a normal step.  In other words, in your scenario, that is an incomplete pass, as the receiver was not able to get his foot down inbounds.  If it is not a normal step, then any part of the foot is treated as "the foot."  So, for example, if he hopped on his heel, without the ball of his foot hitting out of bounds, and then came down out of bounds, that would be a catch.  If a receiver drags his foot in bounds, that is a catch.  

I hope that helps.

Bill Robers

College Football

William Robers

I can answer rules questions and officiating questions (including training, mechanics, and general questions).

College Football Official since 2005; assist in training newer officials.

Big Sky Conference Officials Association Sports Lawyers Association Rotary International

Law Degree from University of Minnesota Law School, 2001 MBA from Carlson School of Management at the U. of Minnesota, 2001 B.S. in Business Administration from Marquette University, 1997

Post-Season official in 2012 and 2013.