Colombia/Do I need a Colombian passport even though I a US citizen? (dual citizenship)

Lisa wrote at 2009-11-12 19:03:17
My husband was born in Colombia and left in 1993. He became a US citizen in 2001. We went to Colombia to visit this year 11/09. He entered with US passport and he was asked if he was Colombian, he said yes, but let them know he had not been there since 1993, they treated him terrible and stamped his US passport with a stamp that also stated law 43. When we came out to come back to the US the DAS got really snotty with my husband and said where is your Colombian passport he said I have my US passport and colombian Cedula, but he said no you need the Colombian passport and let us through stating the next time someone might not let him through. What a headache. Why if you are a citizen in USA do you need the Colombian passport? I think it is about the money they want to make off of people!

Eugenia wrote at 2013-06-14 00:15:16
I became an american citizen in 1983. In 2007 I took my family to Colombia to celebrate my 50th birthday. I entered the country with my American passport. The immigration person was not happy but let me in. Leaving the country was a nightmare. I had to force my way into the plane. My husband could not understand what was happening, only that they were not allowing us to board the plane. All of that because they were upset that I did not have the Colombian passport. I don't want the passport. I am an American Citizen and very proud of it. I only want to carry the American passport and not the Colombian. I decided not to travel there anymore. All of that because they want to take more money from you.  

At Allexperts I provide free information about Colombia, Ecuador, and Venezuela such as travel and investment advice. My websites are,, and I provide services such as information about real estate in the U.S., Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela. I also sell software and promote artists and models. I have been travelling to and living in Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador and U.S.A. throughout my life. I am familiar with matters related to safety and employment in the mentioned countries. I can provide information about Medellin, Pereira, Santa Rosa, Bogota, and a little bit about Cartagena, Cucuta and a few other cities. I can provide basic general information on touristic matters related to Colombia, United States, Ecuador, Venezuela. A little bit about Colombian and American immigration. I am bilingual in English and Spanish.

I have lived in Colombia in several occasions, most recently for about 6 years until 2014. I have lived in the US for many years. I invite you to visit

I studied Systems Engineering