You are here:

Colombia/I am a us citizen , i want to move to Colombia


Hi im a  U.S citizen  Im currently in Colombia now. Its my second time here. I realy love this country. i would like to know what i need to do to live in Colombia permanitly. But i dont want to lose my U.S citizen ship because i love america also.


Glad to hear that you love the country so much, and thank goodness you don't need to lose your citizenship to enjoy it even more (or permanently)!  

There are a variety of options to obtain a visa which will allow you to stay permanently, otherwise you can only stay there for 6 months out of the year (180 days) on your U.S. Passport.  Not knowing your personal situation (retired, working, money to invest, married, single, etc) the list of visas including their details and requirements can get too long to post.  Requirements can change from one year to the next, and every governmental location you visit in Colombia may give you a different story on what you need (even more so now that DAS has been closed and the responsibility of foreign visa processes has been split and shifted among other agencies).  

Various visas have various benefits - some need to be renewed often and require upkeep including short-term "cedulas" (Colombian ID car needed to live like a resident and get pubic services, credit, etc.).  Others are long term or permanent and require minimum upkeep, but often require a full lifestyle change (marriage, father a child, etc.).  They usually get a "cedula" for a longer term before needing to renew.

Some of the more popular visas to consider are:

1. Work Visa (constant renewal and evidence required)
2. Student Visa (constant renewal and evidence required)
3. Pensioner Visa (relatively easy once eligibility is established)
3. Resident Investor (relatively easy once eligibility is established)
4. Spousal Visa ( easy once eligibility is established)
5. Parent of Colombian child (by blood or adoption, easy to maintain once established)

I suggest you get a visa attorney in Colombia (they charge by minimum wage as a project - not by hour - so the service for a specific visa process may be 5x the Colombian minimum wage, etc.) and determine if you will be able to obtain a visa from there or if you will need to leave the country to do it.  There is a list of <usually> reputable attorneys in Colombia at  You will find that most of them are well established in visa issues and are usually bilingual.

I hope this helps, and best of luck in your new-found adventure!


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Having lived in Colombia for almost 10 years, I currently live in the U.S. but maintain dual-residency. I am happily married to a Colombian and we have a preteen daughter who we are raising to be bilingual and bicultural. I can answer most questions about Colombia, including those about culture, travel, visas, passports, leisure and safety/security. If I don't know the answer, I'll do my best to point you in the right direction!


I have professional experience in foreign safety and security. I have personal experience living in Colombia, maintaining residence in Colombia and dealing with visa issues. I stay out of the "tourist crowd", so have developed real knowledge of Colombia and its' people.

Multiple U.S and European security organizations.

College-educated, multiple professional certifications in my field.

©2017 All rights reserved.