Colombia/1970 VW Bug (on importing an old car to Colombia)

I have a 70 VW bug restored to original do I go about getting here to's now 42 years this considered an antique?  If so can I get it imported with out the heavy tax???

Dear Mr. Wayne:

They use two categories: antique and classic. From the information I read below people can import antique and classic cars. Your is antique. Antique cars are the ones that are 25 years old or older. Classic cars are the ones from 1948 and previous years.

Here are some links of government agencies that you could contact for assistance with the paperwork and with information on what to do:

If you do not speak Spanish then you could use Google Translate to translate those pages.

Best wishes,

At Allexperts I provide free information about Colombia, Ecuador, and Venezuela such as travel and investment advice. My websites are,, and I provide services such as information about real estate in the U.S., Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela. I also sell software and promote artists and models. I have been travelling to and living in Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador and U.S.A. throughout my life. I am familiar with matters related to safety and employment in the mentioned countries. I can provide information about Medellin, Pereira, Santa Rosa, Bogota, and a little bit about Cartagena, Cucuta and a few other cities. I can provide basic general information on touristic matters related to Colombia, United States, Ecuador, Venezuela. A little bit about Colombian and American immigration. I am bilingual in English and Spanish.

I have lived in Colombia in several occasions, most recently for about 6 years until 2014. I have lived in the US for many years. I invite you to visit

I studied Systems Engineering