Colombia/colombia passport expired but U.S passport is current.. can i still travel to colombia?

I am going to be traveling to Colombia in December but my Colombian passport has expired. I was planning on renewing my colombia passport here in the U.S but it is expensive so I was wondering if i needed to even do it. Can i just use my American passport for entering and leaving the colombia?? would there be any extra taxes i need to pay?

Hi Valentina,

If you aren't planning on being down there for more than 5-6 months, just travel on your U.S. Passport and don't present your cedula or expired Colombian passport at the Colombian port of entry.  If you'll be there long enough, deal with your Colombian passport during the trip!

Don't forget that when you leave, no matter whether you fixed your Colombian passport or not, be sure to present your U.S. Passport to complete the cycle of entry/exit to and from Colombia with the stamps (physical) and in the system (digital)!

Best regards...

Having lived in Colombia for almost 10 years, I currently live in the U.S. but maintain dual-residency. I am happily married to a Colombian and we have a preteen daughter who we are raising to be bilingual and bicultural. I can answer most questions about Colombia, including those about culture, travel, visas, passports, leisure and safety/security. If I don't know the answer, I'll do my best to point you in the right direction!

I have professional experience in foreign safety and security. I have personal experience living in Colombia, maintaining residence in Colombia and dealing with visa issues. I stay out of the "tourist crowd", so have developed real knowledge of Colombia and its' people.

Multiple U.S and European security organizations.

College-educated, multiple professional certifications in my field.