Colombia/Traveling

Question
So I have my US passport and the new cedula, but my Colombian passport is expired. I am traveling DEC 8th right after my finals this semester to visit my grandmother who is not doing well. Can I travel with my expired passport and fix it while I am there? the closest consulate here is 7 hours away. I just don't want to be held at the airport for an expired passport.

Answer
Hi Kristal,

If you aren't planning on being down there for more than 5-6 months, just travel ON your U.S. Passport and don't present your cedula or expired Colombian passport at the Colombian port of entry.  Take the 30 days stamp they give you (if it's enough) and if it's not, tell them why you need 60 to 180 days.  When you get settled in, deal with your Colombian passport.

Don't forget that when you leave, no matter whether you fixed your Colombian passport or not, be sure to present your U.S. Passport to complete the cycle of entry/exit to and from Colombia with the stamps (physical) and in the system (digital)!

Have a great trip, and best wishes to your grandmother...

Colombia

BRL