Colombia/Bucaramanga

Question

I am traveling to bucaramanga with my wife as this was her hometown.  I just wanted to know what you think as far as bringing my two children ages 5 and 9. Is this a good idea or should we keep it just the wife and I.  Next queston is should I be aware of any safety concerns going to bucaramanga.  I am familiar with Chicago so is bucaramanga comprable to that crime environment.

Answer
Hi Erik,

Although everyone obviously may have differing experiences or opinions, I can tell you that Bucaramanga is a great place to visit!  It is one of the larger cities in Colombia, but not so big that it's TOO much.  You'll find a lot of variety in the landscape and the people, and should enjoy all the parks.  I'm sure you're wife will give you the grand tour!

I would suggest that you visit the first time with just you and your wife.  Not that it's unsafe for the kiddos, but maybe two kids of that age would complicate your ability to become accustomed to the culture and feel confident/safe yourself.  This might help prepare you to bring them the next time, and when they are both probably a better age to truly enjoy the trip!

As for safety, you're OK.  With the proper guidance from a national (your wife), you should be able to learn the ins and outs of safety.  If you are going for family and tourism (staying away from bad activities) you'll have no problem and will probably feel much safer than in many areas of Chicago!

Hope you enjoy your trip - drop me a note afterwards and let me know how it went!

Colombia

BRL