Colombia/Importing a car from the Usa to Colombia

Hi Cesar,
Can you give me the approximate cost and time frame associated with importing a car from California to Santa Marta Colombia? The vehicle is a 2003 Lincoln Town car approx value $ 11,000.00
It could also arrive in Cartagena or Barranquilla which ever is least expensive and convenient as I have contacts in Colombia.
Any info is much appreciated.
Emmett O'Sullivan.

Dear Mr. O'Sullivan:

First of all the import of an used car is not allowed in Colombia. It needs to be last year's model or a classic car (in its 50's or maybe a car that is older than 25 years or more). I suppose people can bring a car temporarily, but cannot bring it permanently if it does not meet those qualifications. Your car does not meet the qualifications. Some Colombian government officials are allowed to bring an used car and might sell that right. The hard part is finding who.

In regards to time frames the best answer can be obtained from the shippers since their times vary depending on demand, vessel used (size and speed), delays at customs, etc.

At Allexperts I provide free information about Colombia, Ecuador, and Venezuela such as travel and investment advice. My websites are,, and I provide services such as information about real estate in the U.S., Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela. I also sell software and promote artists and models. I have been travelling to and living in Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador and U.S.A. throughout my life. I am familiar with matters related to safety and employment in the mentioned countries. I can provide information about Medellin, Pereira, Santa Rosa, Bogota, and a little bit about Cartagena, Cucuta and a few other cities. I can provide basic general information on touristic matters related to Colombia, United States, Ecuador, Venezuela. A little bit about Colombian and American immigration. I am bilingual in English and Spanish.

I have lived in Colombia in several occasions, most recently for about 6 years until 2014. I have lived in the US for many years. I invite you to visit

I studied Systems Engineering