You are here:

Colombia/Colombia work visa


I'm getting a Colombia work visa. My question is what does my wife need? She is planning on staying with me the full year I'm there. Thanks


To do this, you need to solicit the company who is sponsoring your work visa, asking them for an equal visa for your spouse (that does not carry any benefits or allow her to work), and you will need to prove she is financially dependent on you.

Without this, in they case they do not agree to that investment (many companies do not, and only sponsor the employee), she would be stuck with visiting you for a maximum of 6 months during the year you are working.

Best of luck...


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




Having lived in Colombia for almost 10 years, I currently live in the U.S. but maintain dual-residency. I am happily married to a Colombian and we have a preteen daughter who we are raising to be bilingual and bicultural. I can answer most questions about Colombia, including those about culture, travel, visas, passports, leisure and safety/security. If I don't know the answer, I'll do my best to point you in the right direction!


I have professional experience in foreign safety and security. I have personal experience living in Colombia, maintaining residence in Colombia and dealing with visa issues. I stay out of the "tourist crowd", so have developed real knowledge of Colombia and its' people.

Multiple U.S and European security organizations.

College-educated, multiple professional certifications in my field.

©2017 All rights reserved.