Colombia/Lost registro, need cedula

Question
Hi Cesar,

I'm a US born citizen with Colombian parents. My mother registered me in Colombia when I was young and I even had a Colombian passport. I am now trying to get my cedula for the first time but my mother does not have any of these documents. How would I go about getting proof that I've been registered so I can apply for my cedula in the states?

Thank you so much!

Answer
Dear Ms. Lissette:

I had trouble login in into Allexperts.com. I went to another computer today and was able to login from that one. I am sorry for the delay.

Since you are outside of Colombia then the point of contact is a Colombian consulate. They will be able to help you. You could show them your US documents, mention your situation, maybe bring some documents from your parents, and bring photocopies, passport number, or whatever you have from Colombia. Your parents should be able to give you additional information such as where they registered you (name of the notary office, city, when approximately they registered you, what other documents they got for you, etc. If for some reason they cannot help you then you can contact a friend or relative in the city where you were registered to see if that person could get a copy of the registry of birth, etc. That person probably would need to get a notarized and translated authorization letter from you so that the person could show he/is authorized to get photocopies of your documents. Then with that information you could order your documents in the US. I see it hard that they will release documents to the person other than photocopies of your birth certificate, not of your passport or things like that because those need to be picked up in person.

Best wishes,

Cesar
cesarcalifornia@hotmail.com

Colombia

Cesar