Colombia/birth certificate

hello. im trying to get my moms birth certificate from Colombia.  my mom  passed away this past November.  i have called the notaria but no one there any other way

Dear Ms. Mayra:

I am not in the business of notaries, legal paperwork, etc. but get a lot of those questions, often about birth certificates. I can tell you about what I know:

Colombian consulates can get birth certificates for people who never had them before. I do not know if they can help people get copies for people who already had them and need more copies, but I have not seen in their websites that the provide that service. In their websites I have only seen information about getting new ones, not copies of old ones. Therefore you might need to have someone get them for you in Colombia. You do not mention what state in Colombia. I have contacts in Bogota, Medellin, and Pereira who might be able to do the errand for you, but will need to be paid for their time, expenses, and a little commission. If you have friends or relatives who could do the errand for you then you could ask them.

Colombia has what they call " Registradurías". A Registraduría is like a Records Office in the US. They gather records from notaries and they might have a copy of records of birth certificates from the notaries in their own city, but I do not know for sure. They should, but I do not know.

Most people have a copy of their birth certificate and if they want copies they go back to the notary where it was issued and ask for copies. If you have a photocopy of an original copy of a birth certificate then you can read which notary, which book/folio, etc., which will be helpful to find the record quickly. The problem is having someone there who could do that errand. The person will probably need an authorization that is translated to Spanish and notarized. You could ask the nearest consulate for help and advice. I am in Medellín. You could pay a friend of mine so that he could/would to do that errand for you. I can mainly help you in Medellin, Pereira, Cali, and Bogota.

Best wishes,

(818) 206-0481

At Allexperts I provide free information about Colombia, Ecuador, and Venezuela such as travel and investment advice. My websites are,, and I provide services such as information about real estate in the U.S., Colombia, Ecuador and Venezuela. I also sell software and promote artists and models. I have been travelling to and living in Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador and U.S.A. throughout my life. I am familiar with matters related to safety and employment in the mentioned countries. I can provide information about Medellin, Pereira, Santa Rosa, Bogota, and a little bit about Cartagena, Cucuta and a few other cities. I can provide basic general information on touristic matters related to Colombia, United States, Ecuador, Venezuela. A little bit about Colombian and American immigration. I am bilingual in English and Spanish.

I have lived in Colombia in several occasions, most recently for about 6 years until 2014. I have lived in the US for many years. I invite you to visit

I studied Systems Engineering