Colombia/Cedula and Colombian passport

Question
Hi Cesar:  I was born in Medellin, Colombia but left Colombia
at the age of 10 with my parents.  I studied in the U.S. became an American citizen and served in the U.S. Army in Viet Nam.  
I still have my original Colombian passport from 1950 but now I would like to renew my passport or obtain a new one and also my cedula.  My question is:  can I re new my passport with my old one or do I have to obtain the cedula and apply for a new passport. also where do I do all this?  Thanks for your time Cesar.  Edward.

Answer
Dear Mr. Edward:

Usually a passport is enough, but since yours is so old then they might ask for additional documents. The picture of you when 10 years old will need to have good similarity with the basic features of your face now. They will probably look to see if it is close enough or not. You could call them and ask them. If you have trouble reaching them then you could send them a fax and provide a fax number and in it provie a telephone number where they could call you when they get a chance. If no result trying to reach them that way then you might need to make a trip there and see if they would go for it or not. Of course, bring other proofs such as your American passport and other forms of identification such as your Colombian birth certificate (if available), American driver's license, etc. Those serve as proof that you are the person that appears in the expired Colombian passport. You should visit the website for the nearest Colombian embassy/consulate for information about additional requirements such as the fee to be paid and if they will take the pictures or if you will need to bring passport sized pictures of specific dimensions. If unable to get the pictures near your home then you can go to the consulate early enough and get them at a store that takes them near the consulate (at a higher price).

Cesar
CesarP12345@Gmail.com

Colombia

Cesar