Colombia/2003 Toyota Camry excellent conditions:

Question
Hello Cesar:

I am the original owner of a 2003 Toyota Camry in very good conditions, built in Canada under the most strict rules and emission controls and other regulations mandated by the Government Motor Vehicle inspection Agency.

The car has all documents that certify the emission controls in accordance to Canadian standards, and it must pass emission tests every 2 Years, otherwise the plates for circulation will not be issued.

I would like to donate this car to a friend that is Colombian citizen.

The car has a zero book value and I do not expect any monies in return, I am the legal owner of the vehicle and would like to deed it to my friend.

I am planning to retire in Colombia in a few years, and I know that the car is good for another 10 years, if it is kept in the same conditions I will have the opportunity to use it in the future.

Can you please advise if this will be possible as well feasible in terms of applicable importation duties, as well as requirements to satisfy Colombian regulatory Motor Vehicles Agencies.

your help will be greatly appreciated, and I will commit to rate your site Expertise to the best of my ability and as truthful as possible.

Thank you,
Peter Pitino (Canadian citizen of Italian Origins)

Answer
Dear Mr. Pitino:

As far as I know only new vehicles can be imported into Colombia (the current year) unless they are a classic vehicle (I believe 25 or 50 years old. I am not sure which.) A 2003 vehicle is not yet 25 years old. Therefore it will not be allowed for import into Colombia. Only employees  from Consulates (probably only high level officials) can import one vehicle for their own use. You can contact Dian for latest news and information, but I suppose things have not changed except for the new Free Trade Agreement with some countries such as with USA and Europe.

Cesar

Colombia

Cesar