Colombia/GOING TO VILLACENCIO FOR 1 TO 3 MONTH VACATION

Question
HI IN 2012 I MOVED FROM MASSACHUSETTS IN TO ARIZONA. GLAD I DID WHAT A DRASTIC WINTER WEATHER CHANGE IN MASS, SINCE I LEFT. EACH WINTER HAS BEEN WORSE THAN THE ONE BEFORE IT. SURE GLAD I MOVED TO AZ WHEN I DID. WE ALL KNOW HOW BAD THIS WINTER OF 2014/2015 HAS BEEN. I HAVE 8 MONTHS OF WARM SPRING WEATHER, FOLLOWED BY 4 MONTHS OF HELL'S HEAT AT TIMES - BUT NO HUMIDITY HERE! SO FOR ME, IT'S WORTH THE MOVE. I'M WHITE, NOT SPANISH. MY AGE IS 53 & THANK GOD FOR CLASSIC ROCK N ROLL, IT KEEPS ME FEELING 35! I'VE BEEN SLOWLY REMODELING MY HOUSE & WHEN THAT'S DONE I PLAN ON TAKING 1 TO 3 MONTHS OFF & JUST GET AWAY FOR A "ME VACATION"! I'VE DONE ALOT OF RESEARCH ON CITYS IN COLOMBIA. THIS IS NOT A TOURIST SIGHTSEEING VACATION. I PLAN TO DO NOTHING BUT GET UP IN THE MORNING EXERCISE/MAYBE A SHORT WALK OR RUN AROUND THE NEIGHBORHOOD, SIT BY THE POOL WITH A COLD BEER, GO OUT FOR NICE DINNER WITH WINE & ENJOY LOOKING AT ALL THE BEAUTIFUL LATINAS. STILL SINGLE - LUCKY ME! I DECIDED ON 2 CITIES TO STAY IN, CALI & VILLACENCIO. AFTER MORE RESEARCH I HAVE CHOSEN VILLACENCIO AS MY DESTINATION. THIS DECISION WAS MADE AFTER MONITORING THE WEATHER IN BOTH CITIES FOR THE LAST 3 MONTHS. THEY ARE IN 2 DIFFERENT CLIMATE ZONES, CALI GETS NONSTOP RAIN & VILLACENCIO GETS SUN, BUT IS HUMID. I FOUND A "PRIVATE CONDO WITH A POOL" IN A GATED SECURE COMPLEX IN A HIGH END NEIGHBORHOOD NEAR THE PARK IN THE CENTER OF TOWN. FOOD IS CHEAP & I CAN DO MY OWN COOKING. I JUST PLAN TO HANG OUT & RELAX. EAT DINNER AT A NEARBY GOOD RESTAURANT. I EVEN FOUND A ROCK N ROLL BAR, LOCATED NEAR WHERE I WILL BE STAYING, SO I CAN GO HAVE A COLD CERVESA & "ROCK OUT" WITH THE LOCALS. I PLAN ON STAYING IN THE SAFETY ZONE OF MY CONDO NEIGHBORHOOD. MAYBE I'LL GET A LATINA GF TO KEEP ME COMPANY DURING MY LONG TERM VACATION TO BRING HOME WITH ME. I SAW YOUR COMMENTS ON GOING TO VILLACENIO, BUT THAT POST WAS 3 YRS OLD, BACK IN 2012. MUCH HAS CHANGED & I WONDER WHAT YOUR THOUGHTS ARE NOW ON VILLACENCIO SAFETY, LIFE & DATING WOMEN THERE (25/33 YR RANGE). THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.

Answer
Dear Mr. Don:

I have never been in Villavicencio and have only heard or read about Farc (guerrilla) groups being in the jungle parts of Meta (the state where Villavicencio is located). Normally guerrillas do not go into large cities. Rather remain in the jungle so that it would be very difficult to detect them and fight them. That is why it is so difficult to find them. A great place to visit is Cartagena, but it is hot there. Medellin has a great weather and does not have guerrilla in the city, but about 3 hours away from it in the lonely areas such as where there is jungle, dense vegetation at very large desolate areas. It is great to be in Medellin at the very nice areas such as in the south area of the city. Good areas to be in Medellin are El Poblado, Laureles and other upscale areas such as Las Palmas. I think that if having to choose between Medellin and Villavicencio I would choose Medellin. I imagine that Villavicencio is calmer. It has a lot less habitants and it is larger in size. There are more vegetation there, more nature. There is more vegetation in the outer areas of Medellin.

There are nice cities/places near Medellin such as Santa Fe de Antioquia, Guarne, El Peñol, etc. Pereira (about 5 hours from Medellin) is great (clean and organized), but it is a small city with not a lot to be unless it is for going to night clubs or to go to the nearby Santa Rosa city (20 minutes from Pereira), to Parque del Café (The Coffee Park), or the Santa Rosa hot springs. It is great to rent a country house, a ranch, near Pereira. Manizales is an interesting city to visit, but it is cold and small. Also the road has a lot of curves and going on the road could easily cause vomiting. Bogota is very large and has a lot of places to go, but since it is so large then it is very hard for the police to protect. Medellin has a lot of police on the streets, but still has a high level of crime. For many places in Colombia it is better to avoid carrying valuables and/or a lot of cash when walking on the street. It is safer to move around in a vehicle.

You can call me and we can talk more about your visit to Colombia. I intend to travel to Medellin by the end of the month.

Cesar
(808) 218-4955

Colombia

Cesar