Colon Cancer/Colon cancer - liver mets

My husband (60) was diagnosed with colon cancer 16 months ago.  He underwent chemo and radiation.  The MRI done in January showed tumours on his liver.  The rectum was removed during February. He was on a course of Xeloda - 4 cycles, when the CT scan showed that the tumours were bigger and there were more.  He is off all treatment now, and is only getting treatment for symptoms as they arise.  Right now he is taking water pills for ascites.  his general health is deteriorating slowly but surely, although he is still quite active, he does get very tired at times. He has no pain at them moment, but from time to time he will ask for pain killers. this happens maybe twice a week.  We are in contact with the Hospice now, but for the moment they are also just monitoring his health.  It is driving me totally crazy not knowing what lies ahead - how long do we have?  I know this is a unrealistic question.  Can you give me some form of guideline?

Without any anti cancer treatment probably at most a year but it may be much shorter. Sorry, it i impossible to be more precise.

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!  

Colon Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and a specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have long experience with regards to this cancer.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions on the number of questions there.

I also answer questions in these categories: Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer.

I'm a medical doctor and a specialist in medical oncology & radiation therapy.