Colon Cancer/Do you think I have Colon Cancer?

I am a 19 year old male, relatively fit and with a decent diet. I don't drink alcohol much and I don't smoke.

For the last 2-4 years (I can't remember exactly how long), I have suffered very disturbing symptoms which are related to my digestive system, and I have been simply too embarrassed to visit my local doctor, although he isn't the brightest either and I sometimes wonder whether he actually knows what he's talking about.

The symptoms which I have been suffering are listed below:

Blood on the toilet paper
Blood in the toilet
White mucus-like substance in the toilet
Severe constipation
An urge to pass stools more frequently but not being able to pass them

I have also felt bloated occasionally and often believe that there has not been a large enough stool passed to be equal to the amount of food I have consumed.

There is no history of any type of cancer in my family. I have kept relatively equal in weight and do not feel abdominal pain.

What do you believe it is?

Thank you,

Yours sincerely,

Based on your age it is highly unlikely that you have colon cancer! However it is obvious that you have symptoms that do need investigation. That should be done by colonoscopy in order to check your large bowel. Such an examination needs a gastro-enterologist specialist to be done. You live in the UK where for some strange reason you have to see a GP in order to gain access to a specialist, meaning that even if it - as here - is obvious what kind of specialist you need it is not possible for you to seek such a specialist on your own. Instead you have to go via your GP. In this situation I can only suggest that you DEMAND that your GP sends you to a gastro-enterologist. How long the waiting time will be I do not know but I fear it will be rather long. That is always the case in such regulated systems like your NHS. So do this as soon as possible. Good luck!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Colon Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and a specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have long experience with regards to this cancer.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions on the number of questions there.

I also answer questions in these categories: Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer.

I'm a medical doctor and a specialist in medical oncology & radiation therapy.