Colon Cancer/Sessile Polyp

Question
Hello,
8 years ago I had a colonoscopy due to rectal bleeding. They said I had internal hemorrhoids and that was the suspected reason for bleeding. At the time however, they found 2 diminutive sessile polyps in the Distal Sigmoid. They were removed. I followed up in 3 years and had a clean colonoscopy; no polyps. I was told to come back in 5 yrs. It is now 4.5 years and I experienced blood on my stool the day after I had a rectal exam. I since notice small blood streaks on my stool and I am scheduled to see the gastroenterologist next week. Could I possibly have developed colon cancer this fast (4.5 years from a clear colonoscopy)? I am quite worried. No colon cancer in my family but I have read sessile polyps can be aggressive? How long does it take for one to form?

Thank you for you help.

Answer
There is no simple answer for that. Depends on the growth rate of any polyp. And that varies. But those that have been successfully removed are not of any concern. They do not exist any more. Those that are are new ones not yet detected and known. I have colonoscopy every once every year for example. But I do think it is time for a new colonoscopy for you. Good luck!

You can also reach me at: http://www.liveperson.com/professional/expert-profile.aspx?gsBMQvSJ0S4K1haAm6AtH
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Colon Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.