Colon Cancer/IBD patient colon cancer screening

I have had Ulcerative Colitis since 2003, and currently I am 29 years old.  I was wondering how long after being diagnosed should I begin getting regular colonoscopies to screen for cancer?  I've heard anywhere between 8 and 15 years or more, but i've also heard that it depends on the severity of the disease.  I've heard that if the disease is "left-sided" (which in my case it is) that my risk for cancer isn't much higher than normal people.  My last colonoscopy was in 2005 and since then I've only had a couple of brief minor flare ups; most of the time i've been in full remission, not sure if remission improves cancer risk, I'm currently in remission and not taking any meds.

so it's been 6 years since my last colonoscopy, and 11 years since diagnosis. Should I be scheduling an appointment for a colonoscopy soon? can it wait a year or two?

thank you!

If I happened to be you I would have my colon checked soonest to be on the safe side. You should then discuss with your gastro-enterologist when to have the next check. P.S. I have a colonoscopy once EVERY year. I'm soon 69, colon cancers are rather common in my age group and I have already had prostate cancer (radiation treated). I do not want any more nasty surprises and my rectum & colon had a rather high radiation dose too. Good luck!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Colon Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and a specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have long experience with regards to this cancer.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions on the number of questions there.

I also answer questions in these categories: Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer.

I'm a medical doctor and a specialist in medical oncology & radiation therapy.