Colon Cancer/tubular adenoma with focal high grade dysplasia

My Husband of 40 years of age was diagnosed with tubular adenoma with focal high grade dysplasia WITH OVER 50-100 Polyps. We already had 2 Colonoscopy done by a GI and was told that the only treatment was the removal of the whole colon... Is this correct or do you have any other suggestions. We have also scheduled a Genetics test due to the fact that his dad died at the age of 45 of a tumor in the head and his sister died at the age of 31 of Hodgkins. Please give me any info on this? What are the recovery rates?

Yes what you have been told is correct. Does your husband have any colon cancer cases in his family? If he has there may be familial colon polyposis (an inherited condition with many polyps in the colon - like how you describe his colon) there as well. So many colon polyps do give him a high risk of developing colon cancer in a not too distant future. So the sooner his colon is removed the better. The high grade dysplasia of his removed adenoma confirms this risk. For the rest we have to wait for the result of your genetic evaluation. If no cancer has yet developed in his colon all his colon cancer risks should disappear when his colon is completely removed. In an otherwise healthy person at his age such a surgery should not be too demanding or risky. Good luck!

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Colon Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and a specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have long experience with regards to this cancer.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions on the number of questions there.

I also answer questions in these categories: Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer.

I'm a medical doctor and a specialist in medical oncology & radiation therapy.