Colon Cancer/Dad's colo cancer

Dad had surgery to remove mass in colon 12/2011. Also found mass in lung and after biopsy we were told it was colon cancer mets to the lung.  Scan showed areas of cancer in lung, adrenal and chest cavity.  Dad was 86 at the time and all doctors involved said he had 3-6 months.  He decided not to have treatment.  He is with Hospice.  Feels tired but otherwise doing well.  Occasional back pain. Hospice ordered a blood draw and everything was within normal limits.  His CEA was 54 which is high - should be less than 2.5 in non-smoker. He was maintaining his weight but has lost 4 pounds since first of 2013.  Hospice not sure what to make of his status and since he doesn't actually see doctor we are not sure what's going on.  Is colon cancer met to lung and other areas a very slow growing cancer? My mother had lung cancer and it was much more aggressive than what we have seen thus far with Dad. We are thankful that he is doing so well. What is your professional opinion on this?  Any comments or insight would be appreciated.

Primary lung cancers are usually far more aggressive than most colon cancers. All cancers - like all patients - are individuals with differences not identical carbon copies/clones. So the growth rate of your father's tumor is at present quite unknown. The time frame of 3 to 6 months was an educated guess. More can not be said at present.

You can also reach me at:
There is no limit to the number of questions there. Please note: NEW SITE!

Donations are also always welcome! No amount is too small, no amount is too big!

Colon Cancer

Claes-Gustaf Nordquist, M.D.

I`m a doctor of medicine and a specialist in radiation therapy and medical oncology. I have long experience with regards to this cancer.

I'm a Doctor of Medicine and specialist in Medical Oncology and Radiation Therapy educated & trained in Sweden. Now retired. Background in Radiation Therapy, Medical Oncology, Radiation Protection, Nuclear Medicine, Diagnostic Radiology, Gynecological Oncology, Clinical Pathology, Clinical Cytology,Hematology and Internal Medicine. M.D. from the faculty of medicine, Royal Karolinska Institute, Stockholm, Sweden. Have also been an exchange student at the Hebrew University, Hadassah Medical School, Jerusalem Israel. Former medical consultant, Swedish National Board of Radiation Protection. Former Police Surgeon and Medical Examiner, Stockholm Police Department. Former Chief Medical Officer, The Royal Guards, The Royal Horse Guards and the Royal Household Brigade, Royal Swedish Army Medical Corps. You can also reach me on: I have no restrictions on the number of questions there.

I also answer questions in these categories: Oncology (General Cancer), General History, Military History, Brain Tumors, Breast Cancer.

I'm a medical doctor and a specialist in medical oncology & radiation therapy.